#DimensionJumpersRPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Funeral Banquet

+12
MajorJim
Forte
Azriel
Shaila
Lucian
Horo
The Friend
Excellen
devilmanrach
Kuro
Dulkor
nephrite
16 posters

Go down

Funeral Banquet Empty Funeral Banquet

Post by nephrite Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:02 pm

To: All Blaze of Glory Staff and Crew
CC: Aria Paixi

Subject: Banquet to be held on Sunday

Dear all,

To commemorate our battle at Seron and to provide further comfort and understanding for all those who were there, I would like to propose a banquet be held on the day of the funereal. I believe that one of the most simple things someone can do to help those in hard times is to offer food. As they say, it is good for one's soul. Smile

To this end, if you would like to participate in Sunday's banquet, please cook something from your own dimension to share with all the others who will be here. It does not have to be anything fancy at all, just something you think others would enjoy. Let's try and have the food all set out and prepared by

Please reply to this email if you are going to participate with the following:

Your food
A little bit about your own dimension or home
Where you learned to make this dish
Why you're cooking the food

I hope we can have an amazing turnout. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best,

Quatre Winner

"One must always remember to walk upright with your face forward, else you might miss something that will pass you by." -- Anonymous

nephrite

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-03-19

Back to top Go down

Funeral Banquet Empty Re: Funeral Banquet

Post by Dulkor Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:15 pm

I'll be providing a drink for the adults attending. It's called a Frostpearl Blitz, named for the particularly icy planet the creator came from.

My home's a pretty fucking varied place, not one easily summed up, but where I came from was definitely among the worst parts of it. Death was something we got used to real damned quick, and even if there weren't exactly a lot of ceremonies or pomp and circumstance when someone kicked it, you still remembered them, and a drink and toast was often the best you could offer someone's memory.

I learned this particular drink by bar-hopping whenever I landed my ship in Mason territory, Frostpearl was one of their resort worlds and the drink got pretty popular throughout their systems and beyond.

I know I don't exactly come off as a respectful or even decent person all the time, but I know how to show a decent send off to those departed.

-Eleste

Dulkor

Number of posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuro Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:53 pm

For the banquet, I will contribute a dish from my homeland. Where I am from, it is called runifa, but on Earth it is called perogies. It is a simple but delicious food, and the variety I will be preparing is crescents of unleavened bread stuffed with a mix of potato and cheese. I will be frying them with bacon and onions, both finely diced.

My family would prepare it for birthdays, holy days, and other celebrations. I came from a poor family, but my contributions gave my parents, siblings, and cousins the chance to live without worry of whether or not there would be enough food for the winter. My father taught me the dish when I was twelve, and I'll be preparing it to help lift the spirits of those who returned, and to honour those who didn't.

- Visyet
Kuro
Kuro

Number of posts : 41
Tagline : I'll fuck out both your eyes.

Back to top Go down

Post by devilmanrach Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:53 am

I'll toss in ma's quesadillas. She made'm with cheap cuts of beef, some bellpeppers and onions, and some secret stuff, all fried then baked... or baked then fried and finally covered with that green chile sauce which I don't remember the name of.

Ma usually cooked it for us durin' the early days of our Rangerin' to help us cheer up after we got our asses kicked. She never knew that we were out savin' the world, just that we were being teenagers. So uh... it's kinda pick me up comfort food.

As for Angel Grove? Well, that's one thing that... show got right. It was a decent place to live in, despite bein' a suburb of LA. We had the park, a nice beach, Ernie's juice bar and fitness center (now owned by Jason, who's awesome -- though he's put on a few).

-Shishio

Last edited by devilmanrach on Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
devilmanrach
devilmanrach

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Excellen Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:51 am

Subject: Re: Funeral Banquet

I will be bringing a small dessert treat called anpan. It is a snack food made by placing a spoonful of anko, sweet red bean paste, within a thin layer of bread dough before cooking the bread. The flavor of anko has a mild sort of sweetness that makes it stand out from other similar confections. The recipe I used was shared by my mother, who continues to make it quite well.

My home, the Sumeragi household, is a somewhat traditional place, subject to a number of strict rules in spite of existing in a very modern society. It creates an interesting cultural mixture that is difficult to define. While we have no traditional funeral foods, as such, I will share what I can of the warmth homemade snacks can bring to a family.

I would like to bring a homemade strawberry shortcake to the banquet. It's a layer of sponge cake topped with sliced strawberries and sweet whipped cream. I learned how to make this from my mom in Saillune, who made it a nice group activity for the two of us.

My home is in Saillune City, the capital city of the country with the same name. The area I live in is very low on technology compared to many of the worlds I've seen, but even without electric lights, we have magically lit street lanterns that keep cities well illuminated at night.

As with Miss Shishio's meal, I guess you could call mine a sort of pick-me-up snack. I hope it lifts the moods of those present, even just a little.

Excellen

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by The Friend Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:30 am

Subject: Funeral thing.

I'll bring some homemade caponata. It's a cooked, rustic eggplant dish from southern Italy and the very first thing I learned how to cook.

My home was an Earth. Nothing special about it other than it exists in some form or fashion.

My dish was enjoyed by my wife and children. I hope it will be of some sort of comfort.

- The Ziz
The Friend
The Friend

Number of posts : 19
Tagline : Let's Play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Horo Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:37 am

I'll be making a traditional Chinese meal called Dim Sum. It's a variety of foods, such as dumplings, noodles, soup, rice, seafood, and vegetables in a small steamer or plate where one can sample whatever suits their palate. Learned to cook this and other Chinese foods from my mom, all recipies brought over from the mainland. It's also tradition to give an offering of food at a person's grave and during the days before the funeral to actually have a small party so the spirits can be sent off in happiness. I thought this would be a way to find something that every person would enjoy.

My home in Tokyo is a bustling modern city with skyscrapers and people. Lots and lots of people. Very fast paced, most country people would feel out of place.

- Hayate

I'll be making some dessert for the banquet, and since somebody already signed up for cake, I'll be making chocolate mousse. I've always thought a meal isn't complete without dessert of some kind. This is a recipie I picked up at home on Transbaal, the capital planet of the Transbaal empire. It's a planet with varied seasons, lush scenery, and in places big cities. Oh, and don't forget the station that orbits it too. That's where I'm assigned.

- Lt. Milfeulle Sakuraba
Horo
Horo

Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucian Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:45 am

I will bring homemade creampuffs from the banquet. These have a filling of whipped cream surrounded by a light dough. I learned how to make this from my mama too; it's a recipe used at her family's tea shop in Uminari City, Japan, on her home world of Earth.

My own home is in Cranagan, the capital city of Midchilda. We live in a home near mama's work. My godmother, Fate-mama, is like a mother to me too, and her familiar, Arf, likes to play with me whenever they come to visit. Midchilda has two moons, which are very pretty when they're both in the sky at the same time.

Like Genny's and Miss Shishio's, the snacks I'm bringing are to help lift everyone's spirits. Let's remember that besides the sad things in life, there are lots of things to be thankful for. Smile

Also, some will be made with a sugar-free recipe!
Lucian
Lucian

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaila Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:44 pm

I'll be making Golden Potato Soup. It's a thick, cheesy soup with ham, celery, onion, potatoes, chicken bouillon, water, parsley, black pepper, flour, and milk.

I lived on a magical world called Origold. Specifically on the continent of Sarinduil, in the forest village of Magill. We were a hunting village, and pretty far removed from the larger city of Ebur, so we relied on our hunting and woodworking to survive. We couldn't afford to have a lot of livestock, because the nearby forest had so many predators in it. So as far as meat goes we mainly ate stuff like deer, rabbit or quail. We never had beef, we couldn't afford it, but one of the families that lived there kept a few pigs, and would occasionally be able to sacrifice one or two so that the rest of the village could have for a couple of nights a bit of a change of pace in their meals.

I learned to make this meal from my mom. She taught me all her recipes, since I was at that point expected to grow up to be a housewife myself. My dad did teach me hunting, but everyone thought he was kinda weird for doing that. It ended up being really useful to me.

I'm making this dish because, as you might've been able to guess from my description above, pork was kind of a big deal when we could get it. We only made it for special occasions, so I'd like to make it in honor of Evan Pryde, who died to save defenseless people like those who were in my village when it was destroyed. Because of him, fewer people have to go through what my family and I went through.

- Shaila
Shaila
Shaila

Number of posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post by Azriel Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:19 pm

I can bring a simple dessert that was taught to me from Sion called cookie candy. Cookie candy is made by mixing together sugar, food coloring, gelatin, and various fruit juices in a large bowl. It's then spread in a thin layer on a baking sheet evenly, before taking different kinds of cookie cutters and cutting out various shapes and designs. Afterward, the shapes are pulled out carefully and placed on another sheet to bake so the candy can become a nice smooth, hard texture when they're done. It's basically just fruit-flavored, hard candy in cute little shapes.

Well, by now, most of the crew has seen Sion for themselves before and after its crisis. It's a pretty technology oriented planet with five moons orbiting around the surface. I was told that I was born in the town of Sybak before the war. It was an industrial town that hosted many of the main textile and academic facilities, but I don't remember it much. Most of my memories came from the highly advanced fortress city of Alta where I was adopted and drafted into the military. Most of the recipes I've learned have come from that region specifically.

I was taught this recipe not from my own mother, but from my father's assistant, Miss Lucille. She was always there for me as a female figure that I could come to for advice that you wouldn't normally ask your father about. You could say she was my serrogate mother when my father was busy with the military. She told me that her mother shared this recipe with her and that she should share it with her daughter if she was ever to marry. Miss Lucille felt that since she helped take care of me and train me ever since I joined at sixteen years old, that I was close enough to a daughter for her. I really admire and respect her for it.

I'm making this because I used to make it during the war on Sion to cheer up some of the refugees and survivors that were picked up along the way, especially after many of the towns had been destroyed like Sybak. I know that this is a fairly simple and primitive dessert, but I believe that its the thought and effort that counts the most. Even a simple piece of chocolate or cookie could mean the world to someone if they had an otherwise, dreadful day. I hope that they'll bring smiles, even faint ones to the gloomiest people.

I can also make sugar-free ones for the Captain too. The recipe can work with or without sugar since fruit juice is a natural sweetener anyways. n.n
Azriel
Azriel

Number of posts : 33

https://www.youtube.com/user/SeilinthePirateQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forte Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:40 am

RE: Funeral Banquet

I'll be bringing a lasagna dish to the banquet.

My home town of Shrike really was a melting pot of different cultures and races. The town itself sat on the edge of the huge bustling urban area. Shrike though is one smaller world/town settled amongst a bunch of other worlds separated by dimensional seas in my world.

I learned to make the dish form my mom, it was a meal she made every Thursday night. I was a dish I always looked forward to.

The reason I am making this dish is that I wanna share my favourite dish and share teh fond memories that are with it.
Forte
Forte

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorJim Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Funeral Banquet

I'll be bring Barbecue chicken.

Urm... there really isn't anything to say about my dimension or home, or what it's traditional, beyond I thought that maybe something like this might be good as a comfort food.

I was more or less self-taught as far as how to cook this as a bachelor on the Moon.

The reason i'm making it is that it appears we don't have a chicken dish, and BBQ is excellent comfort food. Sorry there isn't an elaborate or thoughtful reason.
MajorJim
MajorJim

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyx Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:29 pm

I'm going to be bringing a peach cobbler. This dish means a lot to me as it's one of my brother's favorite desserts; he taught me how to make it. Peaches are plentiful in Georgia so we always had some on hand and I think this dish is very comforting since it's warm and sweet. I'm cooking it since I want to share a recipe that's both personal yet enjoyable by most, despite being nothing fancy.

My home is in Savannah, Georgia on an Earth during the '20's. The first World War had just finished up and my brother is still MIA after being deployed in Europe, so I can identify with the people of Seron.
Nyx
Nyx

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Crono Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:27 pm

I will be bringing a freezer of ready-made Fruit smoothies. At home as a child, I was restricted to a very specific diet for safety reasons. I learned to make them from watching my sister, who would take the time to make a new flavor for me whenever I was feeling down. I have little explanation as to why I offer it, save that it reminds me of the helpful efforts of someone I cared about, a little reminder never to forget those we miss.
Crono
Crono

Number of posts : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by Exacerangutan Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:52 pm

I will be preparing borshch (борщ), a traditional Russian soup made from beets. Because borshch is prepared in so many styles, there will also be various ingredients to include, for whoever wants them, including cabbage, onions, potatoes, shredded beef, and smetana (somewhat like American "sour cream" but much richer).

It seems there are many versions of Earth, each with a Russia, so perhaps there is not very much to say. Except perhaps that to a Russian, the melancholy and bittersweet things are assumed to be a part of life, and so perhaps there is something we have to share with those who are fortunate enough that tragedies are shocking events.

Although matushka was not very much of a cook when we first came to Moskva, she enjoyed very much the opportunity to cook for me when I was young, and over time she learned to make a very excellent borshch.

Cooking for friends and for family is something every culture has always done. It creates solidarity and closeness, which all of us are certain to need, in times like these.

Exacerangutan

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sokai Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:40 pm

I have asked Cadet Swiftblade to prepare a Verldanese dish, due to my lack of skills and education in regards to the culinary arts. The dish will be sesame sticky candies. On Verldan these would have been prepared with a different type of seed, but due to the culture's destruction and the planet's damage, these are no longer available. Some one in the MI's past converted this recipe to more applicable ingredients. The sweetening ingredient is honey, as sugar was not a naturally occurring plant on Verldan and was used very rarely even after the advent of space travel.

I've asked Cadet Swiftblade to prepare this because it's one of the very few Verldanese dishes that have been converted to accessible ingredients.
Sokai
Sokai
Admin

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2009-03-03

https://djrpg.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: