#DimensionJumpersRPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daneys Technology Introduction

3 posters

Go down

Daneys Technology Introduction Empty Daneys Technology Introduction

Post by Crono Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:04 pm

TO: Blaze of Glory Posting Board
SUBJECT: Retheran meeting feedback

The following is a summary of feedback and initial plans involving offering technological assistance in Retheran, and to be our basis for the remaining nations, likewise.

The first task was to verify societal issues. It was told upon our first meeting that one of their main concerns was the shorter average lifespan of the Foot, the serving and entertaining caste. While obvious that the piling of refuse causing disease in their city causes the bulk of health problems, solving one branch of a problem only to find it supported by others would make us look fairly incompetent in turn.

Retheran's food supplies are rationed sustainably between castes, though the Eye and the Mind both receive more fresh circular fruit and vegetables than the other castes - foods close to lemons, tomatoes, or pomegranates. This choice is made on the basis of symbolism, literally, as the circles are signs of those two castes. Following an obvious path of logic, it explains their observation that symptoms that appear to be scurvy are far more common in lower castes than the higher.

Relating along these lines was their initial demonstration in the theater, and their remarks along side them. "The muscles of the Strongarm being thicker, the brains of the Mind being larger." Everything focuses around these beliefs - to them, the Strongarm is strong from birth, not from the influence of the tasks they perform. Another notion of this was very subtle upon mention, 'inevitable natural decay'. Death and illness to them is simply inevitable, with little realized impact from their own actions. It is certainly their most backwards notion of thought.

Moving ahead, however, beyond this method of splitting resources, Retheran is rather well off in it's agriculture. Due to holding less territory, and having land harder to work, their developments on farming are significantly advanced. Thanks to the amount of trade that shifts through Rethaire, likewise, they are able to compensate for any shortfalls. Agricultural aid on the farming end should be overlooked, for now.

Next, I asked for a walk-through on the process by which they created their impressive telescope. To create something to that extent, they've moved onto focusing upon consistency in craftsmanship. To create the bulk of most of their mechanical pieces, they use clay molds as their primary assistance. The trouble with this, of course, becomes damage to the molds themselves after too much successive use. The process is tedious, even if it gives them capability.

Relating to this concern is the eventual thought of expanding to offering them sewage solution and even extending that to running water. Upon discussion with Surma, it's obvious this is something they can follow. When relating the discussion to water pressure, she was happy to share with me their functional air pump, which will allow their understanding to relate upon any plumbing implementation. Their current methods and workings for metal working and molding, however, would be unable to support actual construction.

All of this draws into our final issue, and unfortunately it' perhaps the largest, even though odd, barrier that we need to overcome. All relating back to my initial line of questioning on our first meeting, I asked them to describe their interaction process between the Mind and the Hand, the tradesmen who do the physical labor. Nothing 'unnecessary' is ever shared or stressed to the Hand, during construction process. The Mind tells the hand which things need to be made, and their parts. The Hand in turn figures out which tools would be appropriate for the work, and try to refine the process, under supervision in turn. The Mind understands how the system works, while the Hand is likely the one responsible for improvement, being in charge of the physical implementation. The stress on separation in this management style causes them severe problems. The creation of their telescope took them five years, and while they are in the process of creating their own steam engine, it's taking them just as long. Even simple, well-defined constructions take them much longer than necessary.

Because of this, even with knowledge to create a sewage system on their own, their management would make this a long, tedious process. The question becomes, how do we tackle this?

---------------------------------------------
Opinionated Priorities
---------------------------------------------

Surma was more than willing to muse the idea of Mind-gatherings where the Blaze would be allowed to make demonstrations or talks for the benefit of their understanding. First and foremost, as has been obvious from the start, they need motivation in order to accept any proposal of waste management. This concept of 'inevitability' must be proven against. Before any other presentations, I believe priority should be given to the medical team to bring forward the necessary connections and motivations for why they need to clean up their surroundings.

Second, given that we should control our introductions one at a time, the Engineering team well into mapping and making plans to work alongside the Retheran's in creation of a sewage system, discretion on details left in their hands.

But along with all this, we need an effective and, most important, /acceptable/ means of encouraging their inter-caste communication. In order to get anywhere with their development, their interplanning will have to grow. But the important notion to hold to is doing so without too greatly upsetting the caste structure, itself. Once we can gauge the impact of all these subsets of one contribution, we can expand confidently to the surrounding nations. Your discussion and contributions are appreciated.

-Crono Arinborn, Chief Science Officer
Crono
Crono

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-03-19

Back to top Go down

Daneys Technology Introduction Empty Re: Daneys Technology Introduction

Post by Lucian Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:23 pm

I don't see why we need to have a separate planning session to come up with a reason to get them to sit down together at the planning table. I think we can get away with simply telling them "look, it works for us when you have the supervisors of the implementing workers involved in the process." I think we're over-stretching the concept that "every idea has to be their own, 100%". Throughout history, development has been achieved by the borrowing and integration of ideas.

What we need to do is select a set of projects, have Mind, Hand, and Feet representitives sit in on the planning and development stages, and let them see how it's done. These are intelligent, motivated people. In my opinion, they'll catch on to the idea.

We absolutely need to introduce universal education. That's not saying that all the Foot caste members get the same education as a Mind caste member, but they need to have a common set of communication skills--namely, reading--in order to progress. It certainly won't be immediate, but it can be done.

Their caste structure, in terms of labor, definitely fit the categories of "planning and development" (Mind), "skilled labor" (Hand), and "unskilled labor" (Foot). We can definitely leverage these classifications and use them as a framework for team development. Almost all major construction projects employ all three classifications of labor in order to complete. We just need to get them in the same room.

-- Col. Luciana Testarossa, MITHRIL
Lucian
Lucian

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Excellen Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:32 pm

Regarding universal education, I would not consider literacy to be an absolute necessity. Please keep in mind that their existing system has remained in place for centuries with their current levels of education. Literacy is only an absolute necessity in societies which require it to function on any level. If they are functioning adequately without it, I do not believe it to be a major priority. The fewer unilateral concepts we push on them at once, the better.

-Seiya Sumeragi

Excellen

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucian Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:39 pm

I'm not suggesting that they all need to be able to write poetry and read epic novels. I'm suggesting that, especially in the case of the Hand's supervisors, they need to be able to consume information presented by the Mind, and also be able to produce written instructions to workers, and written reports back to the Mind and the Eyes.

Of course, this is assuming that the Hand doesn't already have adequete skill in this area. If they do, the point is moot and education will indeed come on its own. But there's a minimum set of skills necessary. Their existing system may have been in place for centuries, but as Dr. Arinborn has pointed out, it's been a breeding ground of inefficiency.

-- Testarossa
Lucian
Lucian

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Excellen Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:09 pm

I would like to put off the literacy issue until we have a better understanding of the way their society functions and intercommunicates. It is common throughout even Earth history that in medieval-level societies, literacy was reserved for monks, merchants, and nobility. Trying to introduce universal literacy into a society which sees no need for it would create a large amount of political tension, for a gain which is questionable at best.

More effective communication structures and sharing of information is a different matter entirely, of course. Literacy should not be an absolute requirement for this. In fact, it may be more effective to approach this matter from a different angle.

I'm not certain how many of you have participated in corporate team-building exercises in the past, but there are examples of exercises created for the purpose of drawing people from different divisions together and having them work towards a group goal. Such goals often have time limits and require strong communication skills to accomplish. Perhaps some form of exercise could be designed to illustrate the effectiveness of a team-based approach versus multiple individual approaches?

-Seiya Sumeragi

Excellen

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down